Want to learn about a great free tool to pick free designer colors for your website?
Well then this post is for you…
As you know, building a WordPress website is a creative process and color choice is an important step in that process. Different colors convey different emotional responses. How do want people to feel when they visit your site?
In addition, certain colors can make the text on your site easier or harder to read. Visitors aren’t likely to stay long if they can’t read your text. Choose a color palette that evokes the emotions that you desire, and one that reflects your brand.
Picking Colors Like a Designer
But what if you feel that you aren’t artistic and don’t know which colors to choose? Not everyone has that gift of being able to visualize which colors will go well together.
Plus, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with the number of color choices. You may get stuck, struggling with questions like:
- What colors are available to use?
- How many different colors should I use?
- What colors go well with my logo?
- Should I use bright colors or muted colors?
- What colors look good together?
Free Designer Tool: coolors.co
Check out this free website called Coolors (http://coolors.co) to help you with this process of picking colors for your website.
It’s a super easy-to-use tool that will give you color palette suggestions. And it’s so much fun to use!
In the video below, I’ll show you how Coolers website works. I use the term hex code in my demonstration. A hex code is a term designers use to label a specific color. Every color has its own unique hex code.
Watch This Short Video on Using Coolors.co
You can use this tool in different ways. First, go to http://coolors.co. From the Coolers homepage, you can choose to use the generator or explore trending palettes.
Step by Step Instructions from the Video on Using Coolors.co
How to Use the Generator Feature
- Click on the Blue button that says “Start the Generator”.
- Keep hitting the space bar and watch the color pallets change and see if you come across a combination that will get your attention.
- Once you find one color that you like and want to see different color schemes that go well with that particular color, hover over your favorite color and click on the “lock” link. Then that color stays there while hitting the space bar will keep showing you more color scheme variations. You can lock more than one color, too!
- If you’d like to view a different shade of one of the colors just click the “View Shade” icon.
Creating a Palette from a Photo
- First, click on the camera icon in the menu bar and select the image that you’d like to use.
- Next, click on part of your image.
- Then, select the next palette spot (a dot will move to that spot) and click on another part of the image.
- If you click the plus sign, you can add more colors to your palette.
Explore Trending Patterns
This option will show you popular color palettes and how many people have saved that palette. You can sort by Trending, Latest, and Popular.
How to Use What You’ve Created
Once you’ve found a palette that you love, you can:
- Copy down the hex codes to use in your WordPress website or in other software platforms, like Canva.
- Save your palette (you have to open a free account to save your palettes in your account).
- You can export the palette as a png image or a pdf document.
Coolors.co is used by graphic designers, but you don’t have to be a graphic designer to play around with it and find great colors for your website and other marketing materials.
This is the exact tool that we used for the Create Your Course website. We started with a photo and picked out blues that went well with the pink that was in the photo. The software tool picked out the colors for us.
I just love the simplicity of this tool. Watch the video above and see how you can use it for your business.
If you’d like to learn more about colors and creating graphics for your website, go to https://www.graphicscreationworkshop.com/webinar/
(this article first appeared Nov 7, 2014)
And here is another cool site for color lovers
Dear Christie, thanks for this. You are simply a great teacher!
This looks great – I love playing with colors. Can’t wait to try it out. Thanks!!!!!
Yes, I love picking colors too!
Awesome resource!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Yes it’s really a fun one!
Seriously the most valuable thing I’ve received!
Thanks so much for that nice compliment!
Went to coolers.co. It says, “This website is for sale.”
you had a typo in there. It’s coolors.co with an ‘ors’ nor ‘ers’
try again https://coolors.co/