Simple steps below to update your WordPress site to a New Version:
(Note: before you update, Before wait a few days for the plugin authors and theme authors to make any updates as well. And contact your theme company to see if your theme is compatible with the new version of WordPress)
1) BACKUP FIRST: create a backup of your WordPress Website with The Backup Plugin (http://www.thebackupplugin.com my link for Backup Buddy)
This premium plugin is the fastest way to backup a WordPress site, as it gets everything and is easy to restore if you need it.
2) UPDATE PLUGINS: update your plugins before you update the core WordPress software. (Another safety precaution if you want to be super safe, is to deactivate all plugins first. Then update them one at a time. This way if one fails, you will know which one it is)
3) VIEW YOUR SITE: Click around your site on the inside an the outside to make sure everything looks good
4) UPDATE WORDPRESS: Go inside your admin dashboard and click the button to update WordPress
5) THEN–> UPDATE PLUGINS AGAIN: check to see your plugins need updating again and if they compatible with the new version of WordPress.
Sometimes you have to wait several days while the plugin authors make their own updates.
6) VIEW YOUR SITE AGAIN: Click around your site on the inside an the outside to make sure everything looks good
7) UPDATE THEMES: Go inside WordPress to the updates area and update any themes that may need updating. (Sometimes it’s best to check with your theme company first before you update)
8) VIEW YOUR SITE AGAIN: Click around your site on the inside an the outside to make sure everything looks good
IMPORTANT: Get a hosting company that knows and understands WordPress!
Here are Web Hosting Companies that I have used and my links for them:
Hosting with Blue Host
They are easy to reach on the phone, and know how to handle WordPress websites. They have an easy to use interface and let you host unlimited domains in one account.
Hosting with Site Ground
They are also easy to reach on the phone and know how to handle WordPress websites well.
Hosting with Host Gator
Hosting with WP Engine
They are totally dedicated to WordPress ONLY sites, and they run super fast! I run my membership sites on WPEngine 🙂
(The video below for WordPress 4.6 is the same process as updating to 4.8… the concepts are the same)
If you are a beginner and are interested in learning how to build a WordPress site,
check out the Website Creation Workshop Program
If you already HAVE a WordPress site, and know the basics,
check out the Website Transformation Workshop Program
Please Note: If you would like to turn off automatic updates that is typically controlled by your web hosting company. Contact your web hosting company to find out how you can turn on or off automatic updates.