Want to see how to update your WordPress site to the newest version? Watch the video at the bottom and follow the steps below.
Simple steps below to update your WordPress site:
(Note: Before you update, wait a few days for the plugin authors and theme authors to make any updates. Contact your theme company to see if your theme is compatible with the new version of WordPress.)
1) BACKUP FIRST: Create a backup of your WordPress website with any backup methods you have or with ManageWP (https://christinasresources.com/managewp – my link for ManageWP)
See my full article with more methods on “Best Practices for Backing Up Your Website.”
2) UPDATE PLUGINS: Update your plugins before you update the core WordPress software. (Another safety precaution, if you want to be super safe, is deactivating all plugins first. Then, update them one at a time. If one fails, you will know which one it is.)
3) VIEW YOUR SITE: Click around your site on the inside and the outside to ensure everything looks good.
5) THEN–> UPDATE PLUGINS AGAIN: Check to see if your plugins need updating again and if they are compatible with the new version of WordPress.
Sometimes you have to wait several days while the plugin authors make their own updates.
6) VIEW YOUR SITE AGAIN: Click around your site on the inside and the outside to ensure everything looks good.
7) UPDATE THEMES: Go inside WordPress to the updates area and update any themes needing updating. (Sometimes, it’s best to check with your theme company first before you update)
8) VIEW YOUR SITE AGAIN: Click around your site on the inside and the outside to ensure everything looks good.
IMPORTANT: Get a hosting company that knows and understands WordPress!
Here are Web Hosting Companies that I have used and my links for them:
They are an eco-friendly, green web hosting provider with fast and secure hosting services, utilizing their multiple data centers in North America and Europe.
They are also easy to reach on the phone and know how to handle WordPress websites well.
They are easy to reach on the phone and know how to handle WordPress websites. They have an easy-to-use interface and let you host unlimited domains in one account.
They are dedicated to WordPress ONLY sites and run super fast! I run my membership sites on WPEngine 🙂
Video on How to Update WordPress to the Latest Version:
If you are a beginner and are interested in learning how to build a WordPress site,
check out the Website Creation Workshop Program
If you already HAVE a WordPress site and know the basics but want more coaching on WordPress,
check out the Website Marketing Workshop Program
Please Note: Contact your web hosting company to find out how to turn automatic updates on or off.