Have you ever wondered how other businesses get listed in Google Maps? Do you have a business with a physical store or office that your customers or clients would visit in person? Or would you like to be listed as a business in a certain geographical area?
Then you most likely would like Google to show all the key info about your business along with your location on Google Maps. Have you seen something like this when you do a Google Search?
In this example, I searched for “Balboa Park.” The search results showed up along with more information on Balboa Park displayed on the right, including the location map, photos, reviews, hours, and more. This is like a billboard sign on Internet; it sure will get people’s attention!
You may be thinking, “But Google most likely won’t feature my business like this… My business is not that big!” Well, it turns out, it’s not that hard to get your business listed this way in Google and also shown in Google Maps. And the best part? Google offers this service for FREE!
This is called “Google My Business.” (It used to be called “Google Places.” Also Google+ Pages used to be used for this as well.) Oh, and even if you don’t have a physical business location that you’d like to show publicly, you can still specify the areas you serve without displaying your physical address.
Watch this short “Google My Business” introduction video:
How to Get Listed in Google My Business
Here are the simple steps to get listed.
- Log in to your Google account. (if you have Gmail, you have a Google account)
- Go to https://www.google.com/business/
- Click on the Start Now button.
- First, enter your business name. If it’s already listed, you’ll be shown steps to claim that it’s yours. Otherwise, fill out the form with your basic business info.
- The next screen will ask, “How would you like to get your verification code?” (Most likely you’ll just get an option called, “Mail.”) Follow the prompt to to get verified. For the “Mail” option, you’ll be sent a postcard at the business address you entered in the form above with a verification code (yes, via snail mail which they say should arrive within 5 days.)
- You’ll then be taken to your Google My Business account page where you can update your business information, add photos, and more. Once your verification process is complete (see the instruction you receive in the postcard, etc.), you are set.
Google My Business is a great way to get noticed, act on customer reviews, update business info, and more — without having to pay for the listing. Check it out if you haven’t done so yet!
Oh and if you want to see how to embed a Google Map on your website, check out this article: https://websitecreationworkshop.com/blog/google-tips/how-to-embed-google-map-on-your-website/